Networks are segmented using routers, which limit broadcast
domains, and allow data to flow from network to network.
The key features of network configuration are:
1. UNIQUE IP ADDRESSES. All IP addresses on the Internet
must be unique.
2. NETWORK ADDRESS MUST BE UNIQUE, AND RELATE TO THE ALLOCATED
3. ROUTER PORT MUST BE SET. The router port should be set
for the subnet which the port connects to.
4. SUBNET MASK MUST BE SET CORRECTLY. The subnet mask must
be correctly set for the required structure.
5. GATEWAY ADDRESS MUST BE SET. The gateway address must
be setup on each node. This is normally the port on the
router to which the node connects to.
6. NETWORK ADDRESS MUST NOT BE USED FOR A NODE. The host
part of the address must not be all 0's.
7. BROADCAST ADDRESS MUST NOT BE USED FOR A NODE. The host
part of the address must not be all 1's.